Sunday, February 3, 2008

This one time...

Eons ago, there was a doctor that I worked with several times a year. We were chatting one day-both of us pregnant as could be- and she shared with me that this pregnancy was interesting for her. Talking with her longer I learned that she was born with two uterus...uteruses...uteri...well anyway instead of one she had two, side by side. Each had one ovary, each had its own cervix. And, with her second baby, she had learned that she was carrying her second child in a different uterus than the one that she carried her first in.

I don't tell you this simply because its interesting (but I thought it was pretty darn interesting at the time) or to tell you that she was strange or an oddity or the like. I tell you this because I will always remember her and think of that story.

Its that way with friends sometimes too. You sit around, you have a drink, and you learn the words that make the stories that make up their past that has turned them into the friends you love so dear.

And so to my dearest friends, near and far- know that I carry you with me always. I may be driving down the road and think of something funny that happened to you as a kid, or something sad as a teenager, or something that shows your strength, your wit, your spirit. I carry your words as a way to have a part of you. Know that I carry these forever.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know you do. And that is why I trust you with my stories. Because they aren't just my stories. They are who I am.

Marissa said...

word to your blog entry today and word to ellisa too! i think we're friends because i, too, had a friend that had 2 uteri (??)and two because i was thinking of this very same freakin' topic while driving in the car today... what makes my friends my friends, not about 2 uteruses. man, i love you. you too, ellisa. :D