Saturday, May 17, 2008

It's the little things

The changes in Nate aren't grand or sweeping- but they are real and substantial, and we will take that!

Yesterday Nate and I had a mama-son afternoon and did something I never dreamed possible. We went to the movies. Nate has a special relationship with Speed Racer, and we spent a lot of time talking about the new SR movie and how it was going to be live action and that there might be scary parts (rated PG- eep!) and that the biggest thing of all was that we were going to have to go to a movie theater and sit in one place for a long time with other people.

He did awesome!

He picked out skittles and a bottle of water from the concession stand- not fights about not being able to have M&Ms!

He sat and watched for one and a half hours straight! During a part foucused on the bad guy after a looooong dialogue scene he turned to me and said "I think I'm done now mama, can we go home?" and I took him home gladly, telling him how proud I was of how well behaved he was and how much I enjoyed our special afternoon.

So, we missed the last half hour of Speed Racer, but I am guessing that it went something like this:

good guy wins. Bad guy either a) goes to jail b) dies c) has a change of heart and becomes a good guy or d) loses all his money and becomes homeless in shame.


So really, we didn't miss much. Carlos was dubious of how it would go- but really he did so awesome I can't wait for the next movie he gets excited about!

5 comments:

Gene said...

Awwwww. I'm so glad it went well. I almost called you to see how he did. Another fun "first".

Marissa said...

How fun! I'm so proud of him!! I think its AWESOME that you left when he was ready, not when the movie was ready. That made that first movie experience a GREAT one, I'm sure. I noticed changes in him - its not just you thinking you might see them, they are there! :)

Unknown said...

ugh! I did it on everyone's blogs. "Gene" was me at my inlaws this weekend.

Jen said...

Sounds awesome in so many ways!! I'm glad he had a great first movie experience. All those "little" changes really do add up and make a HUGE difference!

Brightside said...

that is so wonderful!!!! You are such a good mom! Willie keeps pestering me with the Speed Racer Lego sets in the catalogs we have. Now that you have conquered a movie, will you take on Legos? bwahahahahaha.

Nate, you rock!