While in DC we visited the new addition to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum. Nate was in HEAVEN. The only thing that left me with an odd taste was the Enola Gay.
I wouldn't have even noticed it if it weren't for the Docent. I was walking back to find Maritza and Nate and passed by the Docent just in time to hear him say "and this is the plane that ended the war!" I glanced to see what plane did all that and there on the side it said "Enola Gay." I clung to the edge of the group tour, waiting to hear the rest of the story, so sure that any moment I was going to hear "ended the war but at a cost of 200,000 lives between Hiroshima and Nagasaki" or "ended the war but did lasting damage to the region on which the bomb was dropped" or "ending the war but was a sad look at the things humans will do in a conflict."
Nope, what I got was that this was the plane that ended the war. Go America!
I'm not one for revisionist history, nor for hiding the past. I believe that the Enola Gay has a place in the Smithsonian. Just don't gloss over what it was, what our country did with it.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
History
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment