Monday, April 14, 2008

the more things change the more they stay the same

At the market today there was a cute young "emo" couple (for lack of a better word- as much as I would love to avoid labels the simple fact is that with one word you know exactly what I am talking about, so they were an Emo couple. Deal with it ;P ) looking all doomy and gloomy by the imported beer. This woman was talking to her friend or sister or whatever and saying that they try to look different by looking just like everyone else. It was all I could do to not roll my eyes and give her a swift kick.

In the grunge days, the alternateen days, the raverkid days we all heard that time and time again. No one got it. Not then, not now. We didn't dress that way or look that way thinking that we were the only ones on earth to do so. We set ourselves apart as a display of power. As a removal of permissions. It was a way to say "you are not allowed to say I don't belong with you, I'm saying I don't want to belong with you."

You are not allowed to find me strange, or odd, or different. I am finding that for myself, and I am happy.

Gloom on little Emos. Gloom on.

4 comments:

Marissa said...

Gloom on, you former alternateen! I do totally get what you're saying - I guess I never had to set myself apart by appearance though because my personality/wit/humor already did/does that for me. Bwhahaha...found any pants yet?! ;)

Unknown said...

LOL marissa! Good snippet into the view of a gloomer, hon. I "get" it better now.

Anonymous said...

Yay little Emos!! LOL. I feel like that at school sometimes, like I'll just look at them and give a nod of approval. Cause smiling would be horrifying, especially considering the way I look lately. ROFL.

Marissa said...

4/29/08:
In your copious spare time could you please update this blog?
Thanks ~
The Management